30 Bible Verses About Choosing Joy In The Midst Of Chaos.
Updated: Jul 3
Welcome to 31 days of Scripture writing on choosing JOY!
Are you going through a difficult season of life and need to discover what the Bible says about joy?
You are in the perfect place to learn about joy in the Bible.
I hope to encourage you to renew your mind, by choosing joy even during difficult circumstances. You will find below 30 Bible verses on the topic of choosing joy.
I don't know your circumstances but if you believe as I did in the past that a joy-filled life would not be for me, that is a lie.
When I was in a dark place, convinced that I would never know joy again, the Holy Spirit reminded me of Psalm 30:5
" Although weeping may last for a night,
JOY comes in the morning".
Sometimes that dark night of the soul can feel like it's going to last for a long time but it will come to an end - God promises JOY will come.
What can you do, if you find yourself in this place?
You renew your mind by meditating on God's promises. His word is true. Speak it, claim it, pray it and trust it! This is called finding Biblical joy.
What is Biblical joy?
Joy is an emotion that we all feel at different times in our days and weeks during our lifetime. We experience the joy of new birth when our friends or ourselves become parents. We may even experience joy by simply observing the nature and animals around us.
We experience joy when we are with our loved ones or laughing with friends. We are filled with joy when we celebrate milestone birthdays or receive that job promotion that had been longed for and prayed for!
However, joy is just a feeling and it can leave as quickly as it came. It can be fleeting and most often joy is determined by our circumstances.
But I have encouraging news for you, biblical joy is totally different!
The biblical definition of joy is the joy that rests on a bedrock of peace and whose source is found in Jesus. The source of true biblical joy is only found through knowing who God is and who you are in Christ.
Biblical joy is dependent on who Jesus is rather than on who we are or on our circumstances. True joy comes from the Holy Spirit and in being constantly in God's presence.
This means that even when we are thrown unexpectedly into difficult trials, we can still keep our joy because our hope is in God and not in the circumstances over which we have no control.
Regardless of whatever you are going through right now, you can and will experience God's JOY. You will find this joy when you read God's word and put your hope in it. The best way to learn and be changed by God's word is to read and write out scriptures that speak about biblical joy.
Be expectant of God speaking to you through His word as you prayerfully write out the following 30 scriptures on joy and when the enemy whispers that joy is not for you - tell him, that God doesn't break His promises and His word is true!
So to help you renew your mind by choosing JOY, I have created a beautiful scripture poster for you to print based on Psalm 30:5, a list of scriptures to read, meditate and write out and some pretty journal pages for you to write on. You will find them in our printable/digital book shop HERE
Bible verses about choosing joy
Here are 30 Bible verses about choosing joy.
1. Nehemiah 8:10: Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
2. Jeremiah 15:16: Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
3. Galatians 5:22-23: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law.
4. Hebrews 12:1-2: Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
5. Psalm 16:11: You make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
6. Habakkuk 3:17-19: Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places.
7. John 15:11: These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
8. Proverbs 17:22: A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
9. Psalm 5:11-12: But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield.
10. Psalm 35:9: Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord, exulting in his salvation.
11. Isaiah 61:3: to grant to those who mourn in Zion— to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.
12. Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
13. Isaiah 49:13: Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on his afflicted.
14. Isaiah 61:14: Instead of your shame there shall be a double portion; instead of dishonor they shall rejoice in their lot; therefore in their land they shall possess a double portion; they shall have everlasting joy.
15. Psalm 30:5: For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
16. Luke 6:22-23: “Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.
17. James 1:2-3: Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
18. 1 Peter 1:8: Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory.
19. Proverbs 17:22: A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
20. Psalm 118:24: This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
21. Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
I added this verse to our list of Bible verses on the topic of choosing joy to remind you that God has good plans for you. So you can be confident in choosing joy even when your life may be in turmoil.
22. Romans 12:12: Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
23. Psalm 126:5: Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy!
24. Psalm 90:14: Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
25. 1 Chronicles 16:27: Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his place.
26. Philippians 4:4: Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.
27. Psalm 40:8: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”
28. Psalm 34:8: Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
29. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
30. Jude 1:24-25: Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Choose Joy Devotional Bible Study
Would you like to see what the Bible says about joy?
Use our printable Choose Joy bible plan and journal pages for 30 days!
You will receive a list of 30 Bible verses and journaling pages for you to write out each scripture and contemplate what God is saying to you through each verse. There is also a page called, 'looking back' to help you remember what scripture you have written and studied. This page is perfect to use after studying and writing 5 days of joy bible verses.
Let's talk about scripture writing. It should take 10 minutes to write out each verse but spend as much time as you have on sitting in God's presence and listening for what the Holy Spirit has to say to instruct and guide you.
You will need a mug of coffee, a Bible, notebook, or these journal pages [ in this printable in the resource library] and a favorite pen.
What Is Scripture Writing:
It is a daily spiritual discipline that will draw you closer to God. Writing out scripture will bring your heart and mind closer to God.
Copying scripture and carrying it with us throughout the day, reading it, and memorizing it, makes God's word a part of us. It renews your mind and brings JOY!
This is what it says in Jeremiah about the benefits of scripture :
" Your words were found and I ate them
and your words became to me a
joy and the delight of my heart
For I am called by Your name
O Lord God of hosts."
Take Action :
Download the scripture verse list, journal paper, and the pretty Bible verse print HERE
Find a quiet place with your mug of coffee, Bible, and a favorite pen.
Pray as you write your scripture verse for that day.
Ask God to reveal Himself to you and listen for the Holy Spirit to speak to you.
If you feel convicted of something- confess it and ask for forgiveness.
If you feel moved to worship - worship God! Just enjoy His presence.
Most important: make an appointment with yourself, journal, and God every day for your scripture writing time. I find it works best for me to do it in the morning. It helps me to gain ' God's perspective' on my day. But you do it in your own perfect time. The important thing to remember is to do it and if you miss a day - just double up the next one!
Let me know how you get on with writing out these scriptures. You can leave a message on this post, on our Facebook page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you finish reading this post and rush off to download the Choose Joy Bible verse PDF printable HERE
let's pray together :
Father, You are the ultimate promise keeper. Your words are true. You never break your endless promises to me. Thank you for pointing my feet in the right direction. Teach me to reject the enemy's lies by renewing my mind with your words of truth.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
I want to get to know you more. So come on over to my Facebook page. You will find posts to encourage you as you grow in your walk with Jesus.
It's all about GRACE!