30 Psalms For Anxiety, Fear, Worry, And Depression.
Updated: Nov 5, 2021
Do you ever suffer from anxiety?
I have had very distressing times in the past that led to panic attacks. Thankfully it has been a long time since I have had the distressing symptoms of anxiety. Those anxiety attacks seem to surface when everything seems out of my control.
I'm going to share with you the antidote that I have discovered to quench my bouts of anxiety attacks. The answer is by renewing your mind with scripture and trusting that God is who He says He is, and that He has a good plan and a future for me (and you).
30 Day Bible Challenge
Have you ever participated in a Bible reading challenge?
Join me for the next 30 days in using this 30 day bible reading plan in the Psalms. I have curated 30 Psalms for anxiety, psalms for fear, psalms for worry, and psalms for depression.
Anxiety can be a complex issue that usually finds its roots in fear, and events in our lives that cause us to worry, and our response to these life events if left unchecked can lead to depression.
Are you in the middle of:
a health crisis
change in job
loss of a job
Then this 30 day Bible reading plan is perfect for you.
You may have already participated in another bible challenge that we had on the 30 names of God. The name of God that speaks so loudly to me as I prepared this Psalms Bible reading plan, is El Roi which means the God who sees me. Hagar was the first person to use this name for God. The God that Hagar met in the desert is a deeply personal and intimate God. God saw how Sarai had treated Hagar which led her to flee to the desert. God met her right there in her time of distress and that is what God wants to do for you too.
Why read the Psalms?
God wants to meet you in your time of distress. You are not alone with these feelings of anxiety, worry, fear, and depression. You will find that the psalmists wrote many psalms due to the distress that they were in.
But the psalms that I will share with you are calming Psalms. They are psalms that were written by men that wrestled with stress, worry, and fear. They too suffered from great discouragement. These psalmists found the secret to overcoming all these overwhelming emotions that cause anxiety.
Can you guess what their secret weapon was?
These psalmists knew the secret weapon to overcome, anxiety, fear, worry, and depression was to give God a sacrifice of praise.
What happens when you worship God?
You will find, just like these psalmists did that when you worship God and sing songs of praise to Him that your perspective changes. As you worship God you will remember that He is a Big God and that He knows your situation. You will be encouraged as you remember events or circumstances from your life in the past and how God stepped right into the middle of them with you. And you will be changed just from practicing the presence of God.
Your circumstances may not change immediately but you will have renewed hope and joy and your heart will be strengthened.
As you read, write and pray these psalms daily your heart will be transformed.
You will exchange fear for courage, doubt for faith, and anxiety for peace. This does not mean that your anxiety immediately disappears but your heart will be strengthened as you write scripture and memorize these select bible verses of Psalms for anxiety.
When you give your anxious heart to God, He will take your fears, everything that causes you to worry, all that anxiety, and He will give you His supernatural peace.
Psalms Reading Plan And Free Daily Devotional
This bible challenge is more than just a scripture writing plan on psalms for anxiety. I am inviting you daily to the blog for the next six weeks for a daily devotional bible study online. It is a free daily devotional with a little bit of bible study so that you can understand the context of each verse that we study. We will be studying these Psalms five days each week and then on the weekend, you can catch up if you missed a day. You are also invited to our Restoring Beauty For Ashes Facebook Group to chat about the devotionals there too.
I have designed a pretty printable bible reading plan. You can download this PDF to your desktop computer to print out or download it to your phone or tablet with one of the free PDF reading apps. I have been using the iBooks app and the XODO app on both my phone and tablet. I love that I can journal my thoughts and write my prayers wherever I am. This printable bible reading plan also contains a prayer journal. There are a few pages with prompts to help you dig deeper as you study and write these scriptures from the Psalms. You will find these journal pages invaluable as you read the daily devotionals that accompany this Psalms reading plan.
So let's dive in and see our chosen bible verses from the Psalms bible plan. I have chosen 9 psalms that speak specifically for anxiety, 7 psalms for depression, 8 psalms for fear, and 6 psalms for worry.
Psalms for anxiety
2. Psalm 18:1-2 "I love you, Lord; you are my strength. 2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety." Read our devotional, God is my fortress.
3. Psalm 23: 1-3 " The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. 2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. 3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name." Read our devotional, He restores my soul.
9. Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." Read our devotional, God knows my heart
Psalms for depression
5. Psalm 40:1-3 "I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. 2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. 3 He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord" Read our devotional, Miry clay and solid ground.
6. Psalm 116:1-2 "I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. 2 Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!" Read our devotional, The Lord heard my cry.
Psalms for fear
2. Psalm 16:8-11 "I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. 9 No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. 10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. 11 You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever"
8. Psalm 121:5-8 "The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. 6 The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. 7 The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. 8 The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever."
Psalms for worry
2. Psalm 23:5-6 "You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. 6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever."
4. Psalm 91:14-16 "The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. 15 When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. 16 I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.”
Prayer journal template
Here is your printable prayer journal.
This prayer journal is designed to help you to dig deeper into each verse from our Bible reading plan. You will find this free download in the Resource Library HERE. It is also available in our digital book shop HERE.
Download it to your phone or tablet in the XODO app or the iBooks app and record your thoughts and prayers as you work through the list of scriptures.
Let's talk about how to benefit from this list of scriptures from the Psalms.
This list of scriptures on Psalms for anxiety is perfect for scripture writing. I find that writing them out, allows you time to learn them and think about them more deeply. Use this pretty journal stationary with prompts to help you during your devotional time. It should take about 10 minutes to write each verse but spend as much time as you have, sitting in God's presence and listening for His Holy Spirit speaking to your heart, instructing, and guiding you.
Copying scripture and carrying it with us throughout the day, reading it, and memorizing it, makes God's word a part of us. It renews your mind and calms your anxious heart.
We will be using these bible verses in the month of October 2021 as our daily devotionals in our Restoring Beauty For Ashes Facebook Group. Come join us there!
I will also be posting them daily here on the blog. You will find a link beside each bible verse above in our list of Psalms for anxiety, depression, fear, and worry. I am so looking forward to all the encouraging psalms that bring comfort and peace and listening for God's voice speaking to us through them.
And tell your friends about this study. You can share this post to Facebook using the button below or use the Pinterest graphic above in the post.
P. S This free printable is also available in our digital Book Shop HERE . Click on the pic.